Thursday, January 9, 2014

Book Haul #1: 8 Supercheap Reads to Start a Book Collection

This past Saturday, I innocently stepped outside the house even though it was the weekend (a rather strenuous task for me). I was being responsible and running some errands which happened to involve managing my finances and such. Spending money was not on the agenda. Shopping or mere browsing was not on my mind. My direct path had no interesting shops and I should have been safe. I will admit though, in the back of my mind and deep down in a crevice of my heart, I had hoped to come across something I could take home and call mine. (I had stepped outside on the weekend! I deserved it!) I took home eight things. Books. 

My excuse: They were dirt cheap and this gave me an idea - more blog post incentives. 

All my life, I had used libraries as much as possible. My typically Asian parents never bought anything if it could be obtained for free. I loved libraries. I feel that books that have passed through many hands and under countless eyeballs carry more stories within them than the literal print. I don't believe they are the worst sort of fomites. But my affection for wondrous bookworm-abodes can wait for another post. 

The point is, there were books on sale at a bookshop I pass by quite often. I felt a sudden urge to splurge. These particular books looked used at first sight, but were actually just neglected for too long on shop shelves. They had yellowed from waiting to be held and read and understood and loved. They needed a bookworm's abode. That's where I came in. I decided at the spur of a moment I had to have physical books. I needed to become a book collector. I would buy classics, because all book collectors should have a good stash of classics, and then some light reading for moments when "heavy, serious" reading was beyond my mental capacity. (Read: Pink and/or sparkly covers - I was not judging! They were so pretty though.) I returned home with two bulging bags and innumerable stares as people are probably not used to seeing a girl carry home bags of books at noon. Clothes? Yes. Groceries? Sure. But definitely not books. Some people even did double takes. I felt mindlessly giddy. I had shopped for books no less! Yay for shopping rushes. 

I grabbed four of each type, and of course, decided I shall devour and blog about them. My reading list has been extended by these titles:
  1. The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells
  2. Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte
  3. Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens
  4. Dracula by Bram Stoker
  5. The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters by Elisabeth Robinson
  6. Not Another New Year's by Christie Ridgway
  7. The Trouble with Valentine's Day by Rachel Gibson
  8. Lipstick Jungle by Candace Bushnell
My Book Collection is Growing!

I hope I find to time to enjoy (or not?!) my paperbacks and share my thoughts on them with you. For those interested, they were only 20 INR each. 160 bucks can't get you a third of decent paperback in Mumbai. 8 books in 160? That's a steal considering books are quite an expensive hobby, at least, for me. Buying books in this fashion will no doubt help me discover new authors, since I won't be hunting for familiar works. It'll be a sort of "beggars can't be choosers" situation, but I would be paying. I'm a pretty open reader in terms of genre, but I'm sure buying without being influenced by the "bestseller lists" will be refreshing. Limits in options can be good sometimes. Right? At least I won't go in expecting an incredible journey as one might when a book has been appraised. 

I look forward to more of these book-shopping bouts. I hope you do too. I'll keep you updated. Meanwhile, let me know if you've ever book-binged. Feel free to share any other shopping spree experiences with me. Now, I think a clothes haul is in order!

Till later,
Ekta

      

3 comments:

  1. No shit! I bought 2 books from the same place the other day!! They're dirt cheap. 20 bucks is nothing. This place was at the station right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. You actually went to the station and used a train? *faints* It's the best when they have books on sale. I bought the best ones lolz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was shit scared hanging on for dear life (well inside the compartment lol). But I did travel by train! *woot woot!*

    ReplyDelete