Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A Week of Solitude

Growing up, from about mid-December into the first week of January basically meant winter vacation. So, it's surprising, how after so many years removed from the West, I still expect and crave winter holidays. Even though there's no winter to speak of. Ah, the Tropics. Childhood really does leave a mark. 

Each December a part of me desires Christmas decorations, yards of scratchy tinsel, an excessive number of fairy lights, and a bit of snow. But December is now gone taking with it the seasonal joy and another year, 2013. 

2013 was not what I can call a great year. To be honest, it wasn't even a good year. But, I am moving past it and trying to welcome 2014. As I mentioned, I didn't have a break. No, I had excessive deadlines that, unfortunately, have spilled over into this year. I was even asked to work on Christmas Day, but politely declined. I needed some me-time. And me-time was what I got.

I spent the last week of 2013 completely alone. Alone, but not lonely. Yes, I know, this time of year is generally about friends and family, but remember, it's not festive all around the world. Least of all in my neck of the woods. I treasured the solitude. After spending every day of my entire life living with family, I had a house to myself. It was peaceful; I'm not ashamed to admit it. There's nothing to be ashamed of. Sometimes, all we need is a conversation with ourselves, alone. Being alone with my thoughts was pleasing, informative, and scary all at once. I'm not antisocial, but I needed this week, and I am grateful for it.  

So, I decided to take this as a good omen for this year. I'm not one to make resolutions. The new year doesn't change things, just like you don't feel any older after a birthday. But as a whole, yes, we change and evolve.

Still, January 1st is a convenient starting point. If 2014 can be as good as 2013 was bad, well, it'll be pretty damn good then. Actually, it'll be great. But I have to start with myself. Bit by bit. More doing things and writing about them here in my little nook or the internet.

I hope the world gets a bit better and that I can make it a bit of a bit better. I hope to make new friends and get back in touch with some I don't talk to enough. And most of all, I hope this is the year I can finally maintain a blog and write for myself and you.

Happy New Year!

-Ekta 

No comments:

Post a Comment