Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Kind Gesture (NYE 2013)

As if my week of solitude wasn't enough of a treat, I got another delight on the 31st. New Year's Eve and no plan in sight, as per usual. I had had a short day at work on account of my overtime the previous day. This would have been lovely if I actually had a life...It was also the day my folks were returning, thus ending my me-time. 

Wishes and greetings of a better year ahead were exchanged and just as I was about to leave, my neighbor handed me a chocolate bar. (Cadbury's Mocha Almond Bournville to be exact for those who care. Yum yum.) I was pleasantly surprised 'cause I definitely had not expected a pressie. The typically awkward, office-standard Secret Santa was done and gone. A NYE gift!? Gosh!

Two months ago I didn't even know this lovely lady existed. And suddenly, here she was, coaxing me to take the sweet. I was shocked. Now, as it turns out, I'm a present giver, but a rather poor receiver. I, any day, enjoy the entire process of picking the right gift to match a person and then waiting in anticipation to see the person's reaction. Apparently, I'm getting better at accepting gifts because I didn't fight, took the chocolate, and thanked my colleague-on-the-brink-of-friend as much as possible without creating a scene.

This kind gesture on her part reminded me of why people like exchanging gifts in the first place. It's not about the item, though if it's a cool, useful thing, that's a plus. It truly is about the gesture. The thought. Taking a moment to brighten someone's day. I don't know why she did it, and why for me, just me. I barely know her. That morning we were casually discussing our assignments. I told her I had worked into the night the day before, and she also knew I was alone that week at home. I had also mentioned I liked chocolate during our coffee break, something I know she isn't overly fond of...

It's fascinating how little conversations and a kind gesture develop into friendships. How we go from strangers to trusting once-strangers. What's more is I don't know if my NYE Chocolate Fairy understands the extent to which she touched me and gave me hope for a better new year. I do know that making me smile made her happy. And that's enough knowledge for now.

-Ekta


PS: "CF" seems like an excellent acronym for my Chocolate Fairy, Colleague-Friend. Woah! See what I did there? Clever me. For future reference. ;)  

No comments:

Post a Comment