Wednesday, January 22, 2014

If You Give a Girl a Bigger Purse...

...she will find a way to fill it to the brim.
She'll drop in her wallet, then notebook, and pens.
Then in go a gazillion or so lip balms and stains.
She'll tuck in her half eaten Cadbury Perk,
for comfort after a row with a bona fide jerk.
Sunglasses, a hairbrush, make-up bag, and change
are all, of course, essential things.
Don't forget your glass-bottled perfume and LOTR ring,
for without them how can you prove your true being?
Chewing gum wrappers, receipts, and hair pins 
are all lost in the depths of a glamorous lady's faux Birkin.


-an original poem
by Ekta from theotherekta

* takes bow * 

Thank you for reading bearing that. I'm NOT a poet, and boy, do I know it. Seriously, sorry, though. 

Come on ladies. Who hasn't fallen victim to this? We buy bags and proceed to stuff them with everything we think should go around the world with us. I recently bought a new handbag. And it's huge. Which is very typical of me, but really I shouldn't have. Especially because I had a choice in the exact same style for a more sane size and price. Never mind that now. What matters is that I like my bag and she looks like she can do her job well. 

Dark Raspberry Handbag 

I meant to hit the sales and look for an Esbeda (more my type and quirky) or Baggit (cliché and not my first choice), but had no time. So, instead, I had to settle for a bag I bought in a shop called "Rachana" in Vile Parle (East). (The "A's" are stylized as triangles à la my current fave band Bastille...it was meant to be.) The brand is called Dzine and I'm really hoping this bag lasts.

It has a simple design with three deep compartments and one outer pocket. The basic structure is a large wide-based central compartment sandwiched between two no-base pockets. I picked up the dark raspberry shade, but it's also available in navy blue, mustard yellow, hunter green, and black. After I brought it home I realized the handles are too long, I've never seen this sort of proportion, but I guess I'll have to give it a whirl.   

Anywho, I thought I'd use this opportunity (of buying a new bag), to discuss my habit of hauling around a dead load of things on my already burdened shoulders. Besides being terrible for our backs and shoulders, big bags are cumbersome in busy cities. People hate women who charge in and out of public transport towing large handbags. Do you do this? I totes get it. I am making a conscious effort to minimize the items in my purse. If you do carry a heavy purse, try to switch shoulders...to balance the pain. 

The only justification I can come up with for a large purse is that it can be used for self-defense against aforementioned jerks. 

Let me know if you would be interested in a "What's in my Bag" sort of blog post. I could do one after trialing my new bag for a few weeks.

Owner of a brand new bag,
-Ekta

  

2 comments:

  1. Whatchoo gonna do with all that junk inside yo trunk? Oops! I mean your bag! :P

    Go on, do a "Inside the Bag" post. Let me see what you got in there and live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know we're a bunch of nosy anchovies. show us what's in your bag!

    ReplyDelete