Sunday, January 12, 2014

Weekly Project #1: Harry Potter Deathly Hallows T-Shirt

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and have been one for a very long time. I was one of the lucky kids that grew up with Harry and his mates at Hogwarts. I waited for my letter when I was 11 and every year after that. I pretended my castle-like school was the actual Hogwarts and that Chemistry class was Potions. Now, many years removed from the last Harry Potter book (and movie), and no time to reread a favorite from the series, leaves me with what I like to call "HP Nostalgia Strokes". The latest one ended with me painting my very own Deathly Hallows T-Shirt. Sure, one can buy a Deathly Hallows shirt anywhere, but there's a special feel to one you've poured your heart into. Plus, I love DIY.  

The combination of one of my most cherished art forms and fictional obsessions feels like the perfect debut for my "Weekly Project" series. I'm so glad to have had the opportunity to indulge in this activity. It was relaxing when I wasn't obsessing over the intricacies of the perfect shape of the symbol itself; I promise I tried to keep my perfectionism at bay. I did have fun. The whole process took much longer than I initially anticipated. Let's just say I spent a few evenings after work completing one step at a time. 


First, there was the "stencil" to make. Remember Geometry? Turns out it's useful even after school. The design work took some revision and trial-and-error. I legit used a protractor, compass, and ruler, but the result was worth it. There are probably less geeky ways to draw an equilateral triangle with an inscribed circle and median, but I didn't mind this method. My true inner nerd was reveling. A little bit of Math never hurt anyone.   


On the second evening, I did the actual paint job and as I hadn't created a stencil (alas, I could find any contact paper in Mumbai), I just went for it with my paintbrush and black fabric paint. I traced my design carefully onto the pristine white cotton tee using a thin metal ruler as a guide for the straight lines. It worked remarkably well. As for the wonky circle, I guess it could have been much worse.  



Wet Paint: Cool New Deathly Hallows Graphic Top in the works

Close-up of the Deathly Hallows symbol

By the next evening, my HP T-shirt was dry. To "seal and finish" or finalize the paint job, I simply ironed the reverse of my shirt.

I really wish I had taken the time to take pictures at each step, but I didn't. Next time definitely will!


Here's the final result:

My Completed HP Tee
Materials: white cotton T-shirt, 
Fevicryl hobby ideas acrylic paint in black (02), 
Ujala paintbrushes in numbers 3 and 6

I wore my nerd-shirt to work on Friday, no joke. So what if people think it's "dumb or juvenile"? (Nobody said this, but I could catch it in their eyes.) The shirt made me happy; it made me feel at home. And sometimes, that should count for more than we let on.


Permanently rolled-up sleeve
 with hidden stitches
I made a few alterations to my shirt just for extra comfiness. The collar was suffocating so I chopped it right off. Also, I like to roll up the sleeves on baggy T-shirts, but face the common problem of them constantly unrolling. I fixed this little peeve (haha, see what I did there?) by permanently rolling them up. All they needed were some invisible stitches (please let me know if you would like a tutorial on this). I didn't know if the stitching would keep the sleeves rolled up. After a day of commuting and work, though, I assure you it works like a dream. I wish I had thought to try it out earlier.



Do you ever let you inner "fangirl" loose? I would love to see some your creations or fave artwork. If you've been harboring any creative urges to express you love for a fandom, stop hesitating and do it! It feels great!  

-Ekta


PS: These make amazing gifts for nerdy friends or family. I made an HP themed one for a friend and she loved it. It's nice to give (or receive) a present with a personal touch. The extra time and effort goes a long way to show how much you know and care about someone.

9 comments:

  1. Do a tutorial for permanently rolled-up sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall, I shall. Your support means a lot lot! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya! I absolutely love reading your blog – so I’ve nominated you for an Liebster Award, if you click on the link, it will give you more info…keep up the amazing posts..xo

    http://www.beautyclassyfied.co.uk/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thanks so much for nominating me for this award...I have WELL under 100 followers, but I love writing and blogging. You have quite the classy blog :) Love it!

      Delete
    2. Hi again. Just forgot to mention that I love your blog name, clever!

      Delete
  4. Video tutorial for the dyslexics, please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will do. Decent filming location please.

    ReplyDelete