Wednesday, June 26, 2013

theotherekta - The Genre Diemma




ekta: unity

Ekta: yours truly

I have been trying to start and maintain a blog for a very long time now. But something holds me back every time. That something is undoubtedly me. Which doesn’t make any sense, ‘cause let’s face it, even the dictionaries say that a blog is a written account of anything YOU want. And I know sticking to conventions and dry, standard definitions isn’t the best way to start creative ventures, but this time, I may just take Merriam-Webster’s word. See, generally I come across blogs that are focused on an area of know-how. I don’t believe anyone just likes to express their opinions on one thing though.

Therefore, I’ve decided that my blog should reflect all the things I’m in to. What I like and what I don’t. Be it books, music, products, movies, food, recipes, deep outpourings, light ramblings, old things, new things…well, you get the point. Anything and everything.

Hopefully, this can be a common ground for all the thoughts incessantly buzzing around my head. Essentially, I want this blog to be a place for me to reflect on things that intrigue or inspire me. I want to write more, more often, and for fun! But, most importantly, I want to be able to share ideas, interests, and opinions with you lot and make new friends. :)

Also, if you’re interested, please tell me what your name means and if you have ever felt any pressure or whim to “live up to your name”? My name, Ekta, means unity and as cheesy as it sounds, I like to surround myself with diverse people who can pitch in with their varied experiences and ideas to achieve a common goal (like decrease world suck).

4 comments:

  1. My name comes from a Latin word which means "old". It's also the name of not one but TWO ancient Roman intellectuals. So basically I'm supposed to be an old, smart and wizened person.

    I'm pretty sure I am all those things because I'm a 50 year old at heart and I'm also smart enough, thanks very much. I do feel pressure to be more like the opposite of my name, though -- young, foolish and carefree. But I'm working on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seriously have the coolest name! I wonder if most people grow into their names? I mean, our parents name us based on nothing really.

      Delete
  2. Hello! Cake from Figment sent me here.

    I chose the nickname Elly from the main character in Xenogears, who started out as this shallow spoiled racist-classist princess but turned out to be the reincarnation of this female Buddha or something who would be the mother of the world. I didn't pay much attention to that part because I was ten and that video game have giant robots that were wicked awesome cool. But the video game did have major religious overtone motifs, so it probably wasn't an accident that Elly, short for Elhaym, sounds a bit like Elohim (which is Hebrew for gods, I guess) and El is one of the other names of God.

    ...which isn't that far from my real name, Michaela, Romanized feminine form the the archangel Michael, which was Hebrew for "he who is like God".

    Which I think is cool, when I'm not dreadfully uncomfortable with it, but am always secretly glad that hardly anybody takes name etymology quite so seriously. I share a nickname with the housewife from the movie "Up", and that character Jodie Foster played in that movie who was looking for aliens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool. Many people actually don't think about the meaning of names and for some reason this both amuses and annoys me. Our names don't make us who we are, but surely they have origins and stories associated with them? I just find it fascinating. That and I'm a chronic overthinker.

      Love your choice of name "Elly"; I do have a fondness for names with "L", "K", and "S". And Michaela is pretty as well.

      Much thanks for the detailed comment.

      Delete